Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Bugger flag waving at the beach, come watch a great band

Armaniac will be watching 2 of Melbourne's best bands over the next 3 nights:

Tonight the band from our wedding, the Hoodangers, will be at Bar Open, Brunswick Street Fitzroy, from about 10. Superlative musicianship combining a trad jazz base with Police covers, D&B rhythms, and improvised scatting about drunken escapades.

Friday night the Crayon Fields are supporting some other band I don't care about at the Northcote Social Club. The Crayon Fields are original and brilliant, very young but not genre chasing and lacking stupid half-chopped faux eighties haircuts or other unoriginal pretensions. I'd mention experimental Radiohead but I wouldn't be doing them justice, and they aren't as depressed as the 'Head either.

See you if I see you...

4 comments:

Don Quixote said...

I'd say Radiohead - at least KidA, Amnesiac and Hail to the thief - is reasonably experimental as it is.

Damn do I love Radiohead!

Armagnac Esq said...

Then we may see you on friday night; I know you're close to this area.

Dave said...

Incidentally, City City City's latest album is really quite impressive, though I haven't seen them live for a while. Superlative musicianship is more than appropriate for them as well.

Jess said...

Okay, that's weird. I know this is very late BUT I WAS AT THAT GIG. From very early on in the evening.

I was particularly taken by the excitable clarinet player WHO IS CLEARLY A GENIUS.