Sunday, February 08, 2009

The eye of the apocalypse and why I'm not feeling sorry for myself tonight

Melbourne squirms, wringing its wrists, not knowing what to do or how to help, as all around us firestorms are razing houses, removing historical towns from the map and burning people to death.

Just last night I was talking to Beloved about feeling a bit depressed, the usual career confusions, lack of sleep, blblblb (insert further navel gazing).

Today I go to sleep and my family are safe and I am rather the-fuck over my little whinge, and glad we are alive.

I don't know how you would put one foot in front of the other and keep going:

He had skin hanging off him everywhere and his little girl was burnt, but not as badly as her dad, and he just came down and he said `Look, I've lost my wife, I've lost my other kid, I just need you to save [my daughter]'.

Rudd looked awkward as a huge man mountain broke down in tears in his arms, but he's doing the right thing just being here. How can anyone who is safe, whose home is out of harm's way, show empathy without feeling trite? For what it's worth I'm gutted, but I don't deserve space to write about this any further.

Rudd, put your money where your mouth is and we'll know you're genuine. But thanks for being here. Me, us, all who are safe and well, can donate.

No comments: