Saturday, November 03, 2007

Hours drag at the Royal Children's

We did not cope well with the F word.

In the shower, le Bear waves her little reverse wave from her perch in Beloved's arms. They head off downstairs. I close my eyes and breath up the steam.

There are two thumps in quick succession and beloved lets out a sound that's neither shout nor cry but somehow both. Time stops. The water hangs in mid air around me. I shove the shower door aside and start running.

For a moment, there's a thought in my mind that hasn't yet congealed but it is surrounded by a mist of pure fear.

Bear starts crying as I turn the corner at the top of the stairs. I'm instantly relieved because I can see they are both ok. Beloved holds her, they are getting up.

Just a slip onto her bum. A Bear was held tightly, as she should be.

The crying doesn't cease immediately. She protects her leg, uses the other- clearly in some discomfort. But things seem to improve, and I go to work.

A bit later she's still a bit ratty, still not shoving with that leg when she commando crawls. Beloved calls. We agree, a visit to the GP just to be on the safe side.

GP says all fine, but perhaps, just to be sure, drop in on the Royal Children's.

I join them in the waiting room from work, with chocolate for Beloved and food for a Bear. The nurse thinks she's fine, but a quick once-over by the Paediatrician should confirm it.

He thinks she's fine, but an X-ray might be ideal, just to be sure.

We hold her down, wearing our heavy lead suits, and she has a cry on the X-ray table. Not nice for a girl...

The X-ray looks fine, says the Radiologist. I'll hand it back to the Paediatrician for a final check and you'll be out of here.

We wait a bit longer, chat to other parents. It's a sad place, the Royal Children's. A girl has damaged her eye falling in a cartwheel, somehow. She is the embodiment of pathos. I chat to her dad, not really saying anything useful. We shrug, and wait some more.

The Paediatrician walks in with the X-ray. A hairline fracture, he says.

We just stand there. Neither of us has ever broken a leg. A Bear isn't 10 months and she has a fracture.

It was a sad, sad night.

Meanwhile she recovers in days, without a fuss, and is charging around again as if nothing happened.

We hate the stairs. Oh how we hate the stairs.

4 comments:

NM said...

Tired of politicians not listening to a word you say?

The Australian Government is thinking of setting up a 'blog' for the public to express their views on public policy.

Have your say on what form it should take here:

http://www.openforum.com.au/Survey

Yes, it's for real.

Casp said...

We hate our stairs too.
They weren't built with babies in mind.

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Gnac and Beloved.

I have fallen with my baby on the stairs too. In the event, she was fine but I sprained both my ankles. But it could easily have been the same situation as you guys faced.

I hope that you ALL get better soon.

The Daily Magnet said...

omg - sweet mother of Pete, I wouldn't like to be little and have someone big tumble on me on the stairs - I suspect I may not be as lucky.

I hope everybody recovers quickly.

I hate stairs too - I have to put white tape on the edges so I can judge more easily how far away they are as I'm moving.

Stairs are not good for bubbies - but who can be fussy about the 2 storey thing in today's housing climate? Could you set up a series of baby gates on the steps to prevent big falls?