Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Gorillas don't hug their babies

Who died and appointed all the experts in the world of child rearing?

Which ones? Dunno, the ones that write all the rules. Like the ones that mean you have to put the baby down half the time, make sure she's in her cot when she sleeps, et sarte.

Clearly babies have evolved to be suited, at optimum, to being in a room by themselves in a cot. You don't see Gorillas holding their little ones constantly do you? No, good, moving along.

I mean, could it just be possible that between the rituals and enforced separation and parents who have to go to work at 8 and arrive home at fucking 7 and spend a total of about 10 minutes every day with the daughter they'd cut their own leg off with a blunt saw for and mothers at mothers' group with $3000 prams who'd probably let go of them if they saw a pile of cash and all the other bullshit that's evolved into the standard, could it be possible we see an inkling of why politicians end up having to vie for power by kicking the downtrodden for the edification of the empathetically retarded moral majority?

Could it be? I don't know, I know nothing anymore, 'cept I'm not happy with the status quo and a huge readjustment of my concept of what constitutes reasonable hours of work looms as quickly as my negotiating power can be harnessed.

She sleeps now, a bliss bomb. Last night, the most beautiful thing.... at 4am she cried, and I went to her, and she sounded different, so I called out to beloved and she came too, and when we were both standing over her little bear stopped, and looked at us, eyes wide open, and started to speak... nothing cogent, but the message was clear: here, now, is where I want you both.

I'm putty whenever I think of her, I'm going to be stuffed at discipline, but I think I figured that out and blogged it ages ago.

Still well up at the work safe ad. Still nowhere near tired of the sound of her voice, even when screaming or crying.

And I miss you all, don't get to read much blogosphere at the moment, feel free to update me on your news right here if you've got any...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of the biggest challenges you will ever face as a parent is that of rowing your own boat. EVERYONE wants to give you advice, and it's so hard to listen to it all without feeling guilty/torn/doubtful/pissed off etc.

sounds like you are well on the way to it though!

Glad she is so wonderful.

Gianna said...

oh, lucky you, those wonder months....and one day you'll see newborns in the supermarket and never believe she was once that tiny herself. i remember harley used to fit entirely on a small pillow. to me he doesn't seem to have changed at all in three years. except that now only his head fits on that pillow.
what a trip it is.

JahTeh said...

The most gorgeous piece of film I have of my baby boy is him in his bassinet and suddenly discovering his fingers. He waves them, moves them and never takes his eyes off them. It still breaks me up.

I suffered greatly from the baby experts but now will offer some advice myself but only if asked.

Zoe's experience of women wanting to clutch at Zethro shocked me and I'm usually unshockable. Pure bad manners on their part.

BwcaBrownie said...

Hi 'Magniac, miss you too ... and 2 weary people happy to be wakened at 4am clearly have a child who is

The Power And The Glory.
Nothing happening out here that's better than that.
bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Jethro's started "talking" too - I could quite die from happiness but that would leave a motherless babe, wouldn't it?

It's a big choice to downscale professional life for kids, but it's been worth it for us. They'll never like us more than they do when they're little, so we might as well be around to enjoy it ; )

On the world of advice givers, I just stared blankly and smiled a bit. Easiest method when you don't want to waste your limited energy.

And Jahteh, unwanted baby fondling again today! I was holding him in a bakery, with him looking over my shoulder and a woman admired him, asked how old he was AND THEN SNUCK AROUND BEHIND ME WHILE I WAS PAYING TO FONDLE HIM!

I can understand the desire, but I don't think it's cool to go fondling people's babies.

Anonymous said...

And why must everyone who hears the littlun cry in his pram ask me if he's hungry?

If I thought he was hungry I'd be feeding him. Really I would. He's cross, he doesn't like being at the shops with the flouros and the air con, so please get outta my way and make my shopping trip as quick as possible.